What is Perfectionism? Why is it a flawed concept?

What is Perfectionism? Why is it a flawed concept?

What is Perfectionism?

Oh no..Don’t do it. Stop.

Don’t you dare become a perfectionist!

Seeking perfection ends up making you imperfect.

Cambridge: “Perfectionism stems from a dissatisfaction with where you are and who you are, and because of that, nothing is ever good enough.” https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/

Being displeased with anything you do that is not perfect or that you feel does not meet extreme standards.

Perfectionism is the attitude that accompanies a person for whom he feels the need to improve everything he does, feeling that it is never finished.

How do I know if I’m a perfectionist? Well, these individuals present a series of traits that show who a perfectionist is: difficulty opening up to others, fear of failure, being defensive.

Do you consider yourself a perfectionist? It is worth making a quick reflection. Are you the main critic of your performance? Do you have difficulty working as a team because you like to do everything your way? Are you an extremely competitive person who won’t admit to losing?

Well, if you answered in the affirmative to all or most of these questions, there are strong indications that you are a perfectionist. When perfectionism finds no limits, it can lead to bad results. So be sure to follow the article until the end.

A bit of wisdom:

Nobody is perfect; that’s why pencils have erasers..

Wanting to do everything as best as possible is a positive thing. It indicates an interest in what we do. Running the job as best as possible is the best way to get the best results, but it doesn’t necessarily involve obsessing over overseeing the work done multiple times or even that of your peers.

One of the disadvantages of being a perfectionist is a waste of time, and it disconnects you from people who work with you since you may upset them by discrediting them.

The need to do everything right: This causes a perfectionist to suffer and anxiety. By trying to control everything he does and make them work perfectly. We people are not perfect; as a result, neither are the things we do.

Perfectionists do not accept failures, so they are under a lot of stress for trying to perform a task as best as possible. Living with this pressure has long-term consequences, which is why stress and anxiety can impair perfectionists’ health. Symptoms may include headache, fatigue, lack of sleep, and pain.

”A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.”- Albert Einstein


Perfectionism is also a failed concept since it hurts relationships with others without being aware. A perfectionist may have trouble maintaining relationships with others. Their desperation to keep everything under control, their inability to fail, and their obsession with the mistakes they make have consequences for others.

Keynote: Their inflexibility makes it difficult for them to connect properly with people.

In addition, there comes a point when it is impossible to enjoy anything because you are never satisfied. Another disadvantage of perfectionism is that you end up feeling frustrated with yourself. As wisely said by Harriet Braiker, striving for excellence motivates you: striving for perfection is demoralizing.

Inability to be optimistic: The fact is, when a perfectionist performs a task, he overlooks 99% of what he did well and focuses on the remaining 1% that went wrong. Think about it. You got 95% in an exam, what would you do: celebrate it or become unhappy? Instead of being proud, perfectionism makes you start thinking about what you did wrong.

Simply put, perfectionism robs you of the opportunity of being happy.

Perfectionists often misuse the Pareto principle, i.e., dedicate 20% of your effort to generating 80% of your result. They do it the other way round: they spend 80% of their effort generating 20% of their results. They develop negative emotions and sacrifice their dreams for work.

Here is what I’ve been saying, perfectionism:

  • Decreases productivity
  • Causes stagnation
  • Leads to a worse state of health and mental well-being
  • Deterioration of social relations

Perfectionism is a flawed concept, and unless you start celebrating your little wins, you might not see the need to be happy.

Leave a Reply